this Lentil soup is a staple in every Egyptian household, every Egyptian family add it’s own touches and twists to it, but the basics always stay the same.
i encourage you to try it out. it is so comforting. we usually eat this dish in the winter time.
what you will need:
– 1 cup yellow lentil (washed and drained)
– 1 medium onion (cut into cubes)
– 1 medium potato (cut into cubes)
– 1 medium tomato (cut into cubes)
– 2 claws of garlic
– 1 tbs cumin
– 1 tbs salt (or to taste)
– 1/2 tbs black pepper
-add all the ingredients together in a large pot and cover with water
-leave to simmer for about 15 min. or until all the veggies are well done and soft.
-use a hand blender to mix all the veggies together
– in another pan add couple of tbs of oil and saute 2 medium chopped onions until the onions becomes translucent and almost starts to brown.
– to the onions add a handful of small angel hair pasta and saute until the angel hair starts to brown.
-once the pasta is done, add this mix to the soup
– stir and add some water if you find it to be too thick to think it out.
– leave covered on low heat for about 3-5 min or until the angel hair is cooked
-serve with chopped green onions and cayenne pepper